Sunday, March 20, 2022

The Fashion Dream Job That Turned Into a Nightmare

I remember being elated when I signed my first lead designer contract. It was 2011 and I was desperate to get my work out there and give building a brand my all. I was so eager, in fact, that I didn't even hire a lawyer when bridal house JLM Couture approached me with the opportunity I'd been dreaming of my whole life: to direct my own line of wedding dresses. I read the paperwork and had reservations, but…I was getting a namesake line and I felt I shouldn't be difficult or push back. I didn't want there to be any chance of losing my shot. Now, of course, I understand why more experienced people don't take a company at their word.

Over the next eight years, I did live that dream: Hayley Paige was a hit—and the numbers showed it. It was a trip to see brides so happy in my designs, and I poured everything I had into the brand, in addition to becoming a regular on Say Yes to the Dress and launching and running a personal Instagram account (@MissHayleyPaige), which I grew to more than 1 million followers. With each milestone and success, the brand and I became more intertwined, I felt more and more confident in my abilities, and I had more hope that someday I could figure out a new contract that would better reflect my contributions and value.

I started negotiating for that new contract in the beginning of 2019, and as soon as I decided to stand up for what I deserved (this time with lawyers), the company I'd given everything to turned on me.

Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment