As a lover of reality TV, I was an early joiner of The Secret Lives of Mormon Wives fandom. I followed and championed Whitney Leavitt’s character arc over the last four seasons, I stood behind Mayci Nealy and Mikayla Matthews as if they were also my best friends, and I fell down Reddit thread rabbit holes dissecting Taylor Frankie Paul and Dakota Mortenson’s relationship. I’m a big fan. But I wasn’t ever exactly pining after their beauty routines and cosmetic procedures, per se.
Don’t get me wrong: They’re all gorgeous women. It’s just that I am the complete opposite of the beauty standard in Utah, where long (usually fake) blonde hair, overfilled and frozen faces, and perfectly tanned skin rule. I’m a lesbian in Brooklyn, with (albeit also unnatural) red hair that’s chopped into a bob haircut, who lives in bare, short nails yet is the opposite of a “clean girl.” On a Venn diagram of Utah beauty standards and my personal beauty ideal, very little lies in the middle. Which is precisely why I wanted to try my hand at the look, once and for all. The unlikeliness of it intrigues me.
What surprised me most? I really liked it (until reality set in).
0 comments:
Post a Comment